As health care compromise legislation continues to take shape, it is becoming increasingly clear that the “public option” of government-subsidized, federally provided health insurance is unlikely to pass.
There is a reason for this. An estimated 45.7 million Americans, or 15% of the population, do not have health insurance. The other 85% do, and a lot of them are happy with what they have and don’t want to see it changed.
America is a democracy, and therefore those who champion the cause of the 15% minority will usually face a lot of resistance from the 85% majority. Especially when the cause of the 15% minority has the potential to wreck so much that belongs to the 85% majority, for example having their health care plan out-competed by government-subsidized insurance. Hence, the majority will fight to stop it, and the majority will most likely win.
The majority is not always right. But the majority is always the majority.